Find a Guide
AT SHRINES UNDER THE CARE OF THE FRANCISCAN CUSTODY OF THE HOLY LAND
The following are required conditions:
1. Requests for filming and photography projects must be submitted to the CIC at least 7 working days in advance of the proposed date for the work.
A covering letter can be included to further explain the purpose and use of the filming. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Requests received with less than 7 working days will not be considered.
2. Submission of a request does not guarantee your request will be granted.
Should the Director’s decision be positive, you will be provided with a written permission.
This document must be presented to the Friar in charge at each Shrine where filming is authorized.
Approved permits may be claimed at the CIC desk between 9.00 – 17.00 Monday through Friday, or 9.00 – 12.00 Saturday.
3. Once the permit is granted, the contact person for the project must contact the Friar in charge of the Shrine one to three days prior to the approved date, in order to confirm dates, times and any other necessary arrangements.
Failure to do so could result in the cancelation of the filming permit.
4. A fee of $100 in cash per Shrine is to be paid to the Christian Information Center (a receipt will be given upon payment).
5. For the Holy Sepulcher (Jerusalem) and the Basilica of the Nativity (Bethlehem), in addition to the permission of the CIC, separate permissions must be obtained from the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate and the Armenian Patriarchate; a separate fee applies for each of these Patriarchate.
Deposits are non-refundable.
6. The Holy Shrines are places of silence and prayer; they may not be treated as museums or tourist amenities, or for any other secular reason.
Modest dress is a requirement.
7. Filming during religious services and of pilgrims is not allowed.
Those who wish to film their own pilgrim group must have a reservation for Mass or time of prayer through the Franciscan Pilgrims’ Office (email@example.com)
The agency who made arrangements for the group should facilitate this as well.
If you are not with a group, but are requesting to film at a sanctuary, you may be asked to make a reservation as well according to your request, at the discretion of the director.
See below for more indications.
8. The following are strictly forbidden - Filming scenes involving people; the reading of texts or extracts; conducting interviews. [This does not apply if you have a Mass or prayer booking through the Franciscan Pilgrims Office, but filming is only allowed during the specified time and in the designated area of your booking.]
It is not permitted to film others who are at the sanctuary for prayer.
9. The CIC has the right to request a copy of any audiovisual material made in the shrines.
10. The use of 360° cameras and drones is strictly forbidden.
11. The Christian Information Center reserves the right at any time to cancel permissions issued because of non-compliance with the above stated regulations.
The use of footage or pictures for purposes other than given in your original request and approved by the Director may result in legal action.
The Greek Orthodox Patriarchate
Greek Orthodox Patriarchate Road
P.O.B. 19632, Jerusalem
Tel: +972 (0)2-6274941
Fax: +972 (0)2-6282048
The Armenian Orthodox Patriarchate
Armenian Orthodox Patriarchate Road
P.O.B. 14001, Jerusalem
Tel: +972 (0)2-6282331
Fax: +972 (0)2-6264861
Fill out the form to get information about filming permissions.